Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sea Lore (2004-2011)

New shirt in progress. Below is the rough artwork, which turned out fantastic! Next step is to add some color.

The original idea for this drawing was first presented to me in 2004 as a radical "what if" image of a giant squid attacking a ship — plus a ton of other ships from various time periods ... and of course Washington crossing the Delaware needed to be involved somehow.

At the time, I realized that I didn't have the talent or patience to create such an image, so I set it on the to-do list for some tentative future date.

In 2010, I read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, which rekindled my interest in the "Sea Lore" project. You can see references to this story in the border. And I highly recommend clicking the link above, as the poem is not too long and is an EXTREME payload of brilliant writing.










































If you want to check out the video art of the guy who envisioned the whole thing to begin with, click this link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment